Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The wonder of the ocean

I am back in the office today after a week away at Pismo Beach--a week celebrating fifteen years of marriage and observing the the achievements of an all-star baseball player grandson who participated in four games.  All exciting.  All important.  All meaningful.

Husband and grandpa.  Two great roles to celebrate.

The other value of the week away was that it was "away"...away from work, away from a routine, away from responsibility, away from thinking.  The kind of stuff that is so much of what life consists, but sometimes feels overwhelming.

The ocean is a blessed alternative to my normal schedule and surroundings, even though it is beautiful where I live.  There is something about the ocean that holds me in its grip, embracing me with a sense of peace and power.

An interesting combination.

When I am walking along the ocean--and I did that several times each day--the sights and the sounds are mesmerizing.  I am literally transported to another world--a world of peace and tranquility that I rarely experience any place else.

At the same time I am astounded by the raging power of the ocean--frightened by the idea of being alone at sea and conjuring up images of movies where men engage the fury of the sea only to fall victim to its power.

At this moment I realize it is both components of the ocean scene--its peace and power--that when merged together engage me at the deepest part of my being.  It reminds me of a sovereign God  who holds the waters of the ocean in His power--"even the wind and the sea obey his voice"--and who in a moment with a divine decree can say "Peace be still" and the waves will calm and the ocean be still.

It's the place where Sovereign God and perfect peace come together.

It's why I love the ocean.






No comments:

Post a Comment