Thursday, November 1, 2012

"Retreading" versus Retiring

At a recent celebration of forty-five years of ministry on the eve of my retirement, my stepson suggested that we were not "retiring" but "retreading".

I've been thinking about that.  I can't afford to retire and, thankfully, God has given me new direction for my life.  But there is a tendency to think that our utility and productivity--things by which we often mistakenly identify our value--will diminish.  With that for me, at least, come feelings of sadness, sometimes depression.

"Retreading" helps me focus on getting a new set of wheels and heading out in a new direction.  That is exciting and energizing.  I will be develop my counseling ministry as well as sharing ministry in Haiti--an adventure I can't wait to unfold.

If you're standing on the brink of retirement, think of "retreading"--finding a new purpose and direction.  The measurement need not be utility and productivity; for me, it is obedience to God--a God who loves me-- and embracing the ongoing purpose and plan He has for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment