Monday, December 3, 2012

Inventory

In a few weeks I will be moving out of my office after almost years of files, personal notes, accumulated books,, sermon notes, etc.  Part of my job will be to inventory what goes with me...and what goes away..into the garbage.

I'm a keeper so this is an especially tough task for me.  I like to remember what I did years ago (and squirm sometimes at the memory) as well as file away what I think I might use again (although the probability is small).  How do i go about such a task?  It is a daunting one, to be sure, and then given my personal idiosyncrecies, the task seems ovcrwhelming.

Here's a couple of things that will help me moving forward.
1.  I have a deadline; in order to transition someone else into my offcie space I need to be done by December 31st.

2.  Whatever I want to save I have to take with me...and I'm moving.  That in itself creates a need to scrutinize what I have.

3.  I have some free time that allows me to focus on the task so that I'm not forced to squeeze it into an already complex list of things to do.

4.  I have help.  Both my secretary and my wife have volunteered to join me in the task...and my wife is NOT a saver.  She'll be a helopful filter.

5.  Finally, I know it's time and I'm ready.  Let the inventory begin!

On another level year-end inventorys are good for all of us in assessing what we should hang on to and what we need to get rid of.  it could be a couple of pounds, an obsessively-busy time schedule, a bad habit, a worn-out excuse for procrastinating, a bad attitude...

And it may be a time, as well, to inventory what needs to be added that is missing--more time for the famsily, personal quiet time, exercise, a new hoibby that provides relaxation from stress, a vacation...finally.

"Inventory" may sound like an onerous task to be dreaded...but it may provide a needed opportunity to discard what is worthless--of not counter-productive--and to add what is desperately needed.

Let the nventory begin!




2 comments:

  1. I would never want to miss out any opportunity to read out your contents.
    Life Perspective Coaching Tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quality of information that you are providing is simply marvelous.
    Relationship Issues With Copy Rose

    ReplyDelete