Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The suicide epidemic

Thirty per cent more baby boomers committed suicide over the last ten years than those the same age a decade before.

More teenagers die from suicide than from automobile accidents.

Staggering statistics that can be added to others heralding the gruesome truth that suicide is becoming an ever-increasing "way out" and "escape" from the rigors of life.

WHY?

Many reasons are suggested by the professionals--economic woes, joblessness, increased use of opiates, gender identity issues, the collapse of the traditional family unit, etc.

When Jesus said that His purpose was to bring us "abundant life" in John 10:10, many contemporary "teachers" chose to use that idea as a platform for what has been called the "health and wealth" gospel, i.e. "God wants you rich", "Christians should never be sick", etc.  Apart from the fact that this flies in the face of scripture, and that such a message would not play well in third world countries where disease and poverty abound, the challenge, then,  is to understand what an "abundant" and "full life" looks like.

A "full life" is understanding who I am and whose I am.  When I discover that I am God's workmanship (Ephesians 2:10) created by Him with a unique place and purpose, and pursue that relationship with Him (we know that He first pursues us with His love) and discover my purpose in Him--then I can begin to experience true fullness in my life as I follow Christ.

It's not easy.  This is not a ticket to a comfortable life nor is it the promise of problem-free living.  What it does give me is a prescription for life--how to live it rightly and how to build meaningful relationships that are supporting and sustaining.

I firmly believe that if we understood this, and the significance of Philippians 4:6-8 where we are encouraged to come to God with our problems in prayer with the promise, "...He will keep your hearts through Christ Jesus...", or, as another commentator suggested, "keep you sane"--we would embrace life, not despair of it.

Too many are living in the grip of hopelessness and despair. This week I have the privilege of speaking to those who have lost friends and family members to the tragedy of suicide.  My prayer is that I will be the voice of hope to those who have survived and are struggling to make sense of what happened.

Our hope is in the Lord.













No comments:

Post a Comment