Friday, January 1, 2016

A daily filter for godly living

James 4:13-17 presents some cryptic truths that I've had the privilege of sharing in several preaching opportunities in the last month. Studying these verses has resulted in a renewed passion for pursuing God's purposes for my life as I start each day. There are four questions I've determined to ask myself each morning that are promoted by this passage.

1.  Am I planning my day without asking God for His direction?  I can get caught up in the flurry of activity and opportunity around me and find myself scrambling to "fit" God into my busy schedule.

2.  Am I purposing to live my life with eternity in mind?  "Life is a vapor". As I get older I become increasingly aware of my mortality and the challenge to make redemptive use of my time.

3.  Am I pointing my compass towards the course God has set for me?  Do I want to know what His will is for my life today?  An old chorus repeats the refrain, "I have decided to follow Jesus".

4.  Am I prioritizing the importance of doing the right thing?  Do I see the peril of not acting on God's direction; it is as much sin as doing what I know is counter to God's Word.

Another new year beckons me to enter in to the confident affirmation of Paul's words in Philippians 2:13. "God is at work within you both to will and to do His good pleasure". I want to please Him. I want to do His will. I'm asking myself in this season what that looks like for me today. Here's a couple of  thoughts for digging deeper...

How much does what God wants really matter to me?
How buried am I in my own stuff unable to keep an open ear to a God's voice?
How anxious am I for healthy change and what am I willing to do to see it happen?
How much do I live with eternity in view?
How would my life be different if I chose to change course and to truly follow Jesus?

Make it a "happy new year" by asking the right questions and closing the right answers!



No comments:

Post a Comment