Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mountain-biking with a friend

This summer I had my first mountain biking adventure on a single track course--on a regular hybrid bike.  For the uninitiated, this is one without suspension to shield the rider from the array of potholes, root systems and other unexpected road hazards.

I am no longer one of the uninitiated.  That grueling ride--exciting beyond words--left me wondering if I would ever be able to move my neck normally!

Still, I was determined to find a mountain bike, with a "death wish", I guess, for further adventure!

Long story short--I now have a mountain bike (suspension included) and here's the best part of the story. I have a  friend who is willing to ride with me.  Last  Friday my friend joined me on a hospital call in Sacramento and several hours later, in 100 degree weather, agreed to ride with me for about an hour in the blazing heat.  That is the sign of true friendship and adventure.

My bike-riding friend is my wife.

It's a wonderful thing in life when the person to whom you are married becomes your friend and is willing to share in your adventure even when it means she is doing something she would rather not do but choosing to do it because she loves you...does that make sense?

Maybe not.

But it is one of the current joys of my life.  Interrupting my perfunctory course of work (I am working four jobs currently) and finding a friend flexible enough to "roll" with my unpredictable schedule is a true blessing.  Recently we hiked eleven miles to a waterfall (we thought it was two miles) and she didn't falter for a moment.  In fact, she is still with me and looking forward to our next adventure.

I hope you have a bike-riding friend like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment