Thursday, April 4, 2013

Enjoying what you do...

Enjoyment seems an illusive state of mind; in fact, it seems almost an oxymoron when considered in the work environment.

In this season of semi-retirement where I have the luxury of some discretion in choosing what I do, I am finding true enjoyment in counseling and coaching.  These have been work-related responsibilities in my long history as a pastor but the context was different.  They were attached to my pastoral role and tended to be primarily crisis-oriented, squeezed into a very busy schedule.  It was typically the traditional "tyranny of the urgent" that set my counseling agenda.

It is different now.  My counseling and coaching is more measured, set in a context of long-term goals for the client, and measurable progress, hopefully, moving towards finding healing and wholeness.  My goal as a counselor-coach is not to elongate the process; rather, it is to wean the client from me and direct them towards the Word of God and their daily relationship with God as a source of continuing refuge and strength.

I am not a simpleton; I understand that my role as a listener and as a director--pointing the client to things they may not see clearly, and more often than not, reminding them of things they already know--can be a critical piece on the road to self-discovery and experiencing the fullness of life God intends.

Yesterday I met with three different clients and the testimonies they shared about how God is working in their lives made me smile within.  They all have continuing needs and ongoing work to do--as we all do--but today I felt true enjoyment in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment