Monday, December 19, 2011

PRIORITIES...managing my time

Christmas for me as a pastor is a time where the avalanche of activities and opportunities is potentially exhausting and overwhelming.  In the middle of what is meant to be a time of celebration, it can become a time of confusion and consternation.

This ought not to be so...but managing time--determining how to say "no"--is a challenge difficult for many of us to do, particularly, if by nature we are people-pleasers!

So, is there a simple formula for managing my time? No!  But there are some guidelines that I have employed that are helpful to me in setting boundaries and keeping my priorities in place.

What are my priorities?
This is the place to start--establish what is especially important to you today--this week   Write it down on a  piece of paper.  Number them in order of priority, taking not of what is non-negotiable (I have to do this!) and what is negotiable (I have a discretionary choice).

What are the non-negotiables in my schedule?
There are, admittedly, some things I have to do--regular office hours, standing appointments, etc.  Write these down on your daily-weekly calendar (If you're able to, do this a month in advance).

What time slots are left for the negotiables on my priority list? 
This is where my priority list can guide me--schedule time for the really significant things on your list-- i.e. time with the family, time for personal exercise, etc.--as compared to watching a football game (hard choice, I know!), dinner with the Smiths (maybe another time), etc.

What can I do to protect my schedule, preserving time to pursue my priorities?
Know your schedule in advance so you are prepared to say, "I can't do that this week, my schedule is full".  Learn that "no" is okay; everyone has scheduling priorities--even if only subconsciously--and a kind, "No, I can't at this time", is something everyone can relate to.

What if my priorities are different than my spouse's?
This a communication exercise; as you approach a new year it would be helpful and healthy for your relationship to discuss these together.  Honor one another and establish a  list of family non-negotiables and negotiables.  Work to reach a place of agreement, so you can move forward together!

Beverly and I have actually scheduled this season a few times of sitting on the couch, reflecting on the "reason for the season" and simply being still and quiet.  I know--we don't have children at home.  Still, we had to literally schedule that time.  We have some more of that this week--consistent with our renewed commitment to manage our time so that it reflects on our priorities.



No comments:

Post a Comment