Monday, February 13, 2012

The "Demons" of Uncertainty

I like order and regimen.  I thrive in an environment of structure and predictability.

I'm a minister, however, and everything about my life demands spontanaiety--crisis and response tops the list. Inevitably, my best-laid plans falls prey to the tyranny of the urgent.  I am learning to set boundaries for myself (more on that later) or else I would disappear into a sea of chaos!

I face alot of uncertainty each day--and especially now, as I contemplate transition.  Let me share some of the "demons" I associate with this season of my life.     

U-nclear time constraints--I'm unsure what's going to happen will happen. 

N-ebulous details--I don't have enough information to make definitive plans.

C-alculated risks--I waffle at the thought of facing unknown challenges.

E-mpty places--I have gaps in my life unfulfilled in transition.

R-eflective grief--I look back and imagine what I could have done differently.

T-entative concentration--I allow my mind to wander into areas of non-productive worry

A-ssumed expectations--I make myself "crazy" wondering what might be expected of me.

I-nterrupted communication--I'm used to staying "in touch"; not everyone else feels the same need!

N-egative energy--I spend too much time fanatasizing about what may never happen.

T-rust deficit--I forget to focus on the promsies of God's Word.

Y-ielded faith--I walk in my own limited knowledge, compromising my professed faith in God.

What a mmiserable guy I can become in a matter of moments if I allow thre avalanche of ucnertainty to bury me!  Here's a familiar word of counsel from the Bible.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight"
Proverbs 3:5,6 (NIV)


Uncertainty is a certainty.  As we face the challenges of ech new days we must realize we cannot controil what happens; we can only control how we respond to each new situation.  The "demons" of uncertainty may seek to haunt us--and unprepared we could easily succumb to their potential paralyzing fear.

Or, we can arm ourselves with trust and faith in God who promsies to mae our paths "straight", even when we can't see what lies ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment