Monday, April 9, 2012

Breaking in new ground

I have recently been unofficially hired to assume a responsibility with a company that is expanding its work overseas. Because the actual affimration of the corporate board is not until mid-May, and my actual start date is not until February, 2013, it is an interesting challenge to assay  my responsibilities for today.

Here's what I am learning about this waiting time and transition...

*I am moving deliberately, checking out every proposed step before actually taking it.

*I am reading diligently, researching the necessary data available that will enhance my work when I actually start.

*I am communciating daily (or, as often as needed), staying in the loop regarding what is to be my responsibility.

My goal is to be ready to run the moment my job actually starts.  I am disciplined to not run ahead or assume another's responsibilities.  I am being careful to be a good observer and a willing learner as I process the information that is being made available to me.  And I am continually asking, "Is there anything you need from me now?", while at the same time affirming the thngs already in place.

Truth is, I will be breaking in new ground.  But some preliminary work has already been done--marials written, decisions made, programs instituted.  What's required of me is an apppropriate respect and a measured enthusiasm as I await my turn to do my job.

Can't wait!  But I will.

How are you doing with your new opportunity?

No comments:

Post a Comment